Monday 28 September 2015

An understanding of related Theoretical Issues

When it comes to producing the material for my brief, I will be encountering some issues, such as representation, audience, and genre. These are certain aspects that require lots of planning and research.

Representation brings the issues of how and why I will present certain character types in my short film, such as men, women, children, the disabled and so on. I won't necessarily be using all of these character types, but when I do, I'll have to take into account their representation and how exactly I execute their character in the short film. This would create a challenge for me as representation is quite a significant aspect to films/short films, and most definitely has an impact upon the short film.

The second theoretical issue is the audience of my short film. This is considered an issue because the audience for your short film is vital and can determine many features of the short film. As a result, if I was to develop and begin production on my short film with minimal research and intent to my target audience, I could be making a short film that my target audience wouldn't like and perhaps wouldn't want to watch. This is why the audience is an issue and it needs to be taken into consideration when it comes to planning and producing the short film, which is what I'll be doing.

The last considered issue with the project is genre. Genre will determine the style, craft, and tone of the short film. This is why I need to research genres and have a clear idea of the genre I want to pursue, so when it comes to production and planning I am aware of the codes and conventions of this specific genre. Another reason why it's an issue is because genres have their fixed, standard codes and conventions, so if I was to enter a genre and completely change the conventions around, the audience may not like this and be unsatisfied with the piece. Despite that it's okay to challenge conventions, completely change around the genres conventions is risky.



No comments:

Post a Comment