Tuesday 29 September 2015

Overall Summary of Short Film Primary Research

Having completed primary research into 10 short films, I now feel much more confident in knowing how to pursue my short film, and how I can execute it, film it and edit it. The 10 examples I have looked at have all helped me in one of these ways, and they have given me more insight into just what a short film can be like.

- The short films I researched have taught me further about narrative and storytelling. Many of these short films have different methods of story-telling and narrative structure. Such as, some of them opted for a more conventional, linear form of story telling, where events are occurring in a chronological order making it easier for the audience to understand. However, some of the short films went for a more alternative route, and sequenced their short film so that the narrative isn't quite as simple. Such as, events would be cutting back to flashbacks to create meaning and tell the story, which could be seen as confusing for the audience, but ultimately is good film making as the information is not directly fed to the audience.

- I have also learned more about cinematography. Many of these short films used shooting methods I can use to, such as handheld, mixing handheld with tripod, and only using tripod shots. The differing methods of filming depend on the subject and context of the short film, so when it comes to pre-production for my short film, I will mix up my methods of filming depending on what I want to try and represent or make the audience feel. I have also learned more about how long to hold shots for and when to cut to the next shot. Some of these short films held shots for just a bit too long, and it would have been better if they cut just a second or two earlier. However some other short films I looked at held shots for just the right amount of time, which is more beneficial for the short film and for the edit.

- One more thing I have learned about is colour correction. Colour correction plays an essential part part in determining the mood and context of a short film/film. If a scene has been wrongly colour corrected, it can totally differ the intended meaning and context it was meant to have. Some of the short films I studied had great colour correction; it was highly appropriate and suitable for the short film, which is very good and makes the intended meaning and story play out easier. Such as, one of the short films I looked at had very carefully selected colour correction that fit perfectly into the woods/forest mise-en-scene the sequence was taking place in. Finding the perfect colour correction/colour pallet won't be easy to do and will need lots of tweaking and adjusting, but if it comes to be successful it will be beneficial for the short film.

In general I have learned what a short film is and how they can be executed. Many of them contain 1 premise the short film explores and unravels the truth about. Others can be more ambiguous and leave the true meaning and reason for a short film left to the audiences own interpretation. Such as, there was one short film I looked at which was called 'Echoes', and this short film was more on the ambiguous side and the true meaning behind its themes and characters is definitely up the the audience to decide and think about. Overall I am happy with the primary research into short films I've completed and look forward into developing my own short film piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment