Friday 11 September 2015

What Genre am I looking to work with?

A main, essential aspect of my Short Film is the Genre it belongs to. Without the genre of my Short Film decided, it will be hard for me to continue development and plan a story-line and what type of characters there will be. However once I have my genre sorted and finalised, I will then know what kind of things to include in my Short Film and the conventions I'll either have to follow or try to advert away from.

Here are the possible genres I could work in and my thoughts about them:

Action: Action is a genre that is widely loved all round the world, and definitely one of the most popular genres in Hollywood and audiences around the globe. However for my Short Film, to take on the action genre would be difficult and unrealistic, as to pull off successful action, you need to have the necessary budget and production value, also action would take a lot of planning and the execution would need to be correct in order for it to succeed. This is why I believe it's best to avoid the action genre for a short film of this scale; I don't have the necessary skills and resources to make a professional action Short Film.

Thriller: Thriller is my most favorable choice of genre to work in. The main reason behind this is because of after working in the thriller genre for all of my AS level coursework, I now feel I have a greater understanding of the way it works and what exactly audiences expect to see when they are watching a thriller film/short film. So, if I decided to produce a thriller Short Film, I would feel confident in knowing what I need to do, such as the ways in which I film it and go around the sound design. This genre is also realistic and achievable, even a small concept of thriller can turn out promising if the execution and planning behind it was sufficient. I am confident in this genre for my short film and will most likely carry it forward to the planning and production, and will also take into account when researching past short films.

Romance: Another genre that would be possible for me to do in my short film. However, the time frame I have of 5 minutes, may make a romance short film harder to achieve. There isn't enough time to build up and present the romance for it to seem respectable, in the space of 5 minutes it would seem rushed and unnecessary.

Horror: The last genre that I was considering to do was a horror. I'm very interested in the horror genre and it is one of my favourite genres, due to the fact that horror that is very well executed and has intelligence behind it can make for extremely good entertainment. For my 5 minute short film, horror would seem like a challenging, but good genre to work with. I think that the main challenge is how I would carry out the horror element of it. In the space of 5 minutes what would be the best way to scare you audience? It may be the case of building up a dark, brooding mood for the 5 minutes or you could go right ahead and add in a jump scare to engage and scare the audience. However you go about it, your short film would need to make the audience feel fear to make the horror short film do its job.

To conclude, I am choosing to make my short film in the genre of Thriller. At the moment it's the genre I feel most comfortable with and feel confident to carry out research and planning for the genre of thriller. My sub-genre is most likely to be a Crime-thriller, or if not a Psychological-thriller or horror-thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment