Sunday 27 September 2015

Survey for Target Audience

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9VDCMK3


The following link will take you to my research survey, that is designed to help me get a target audience. I asked simple questions that the taker should be able to answer without many problems, questions that will help me when it comes to deciding certain characteristics and conventions for my short film.

The first question was the simple gender question. This was just to establish how and if there are any differences or preferences about the thriller genre between male and female viewers.

The second question was to determine the takers age group, ranging from 10 to 25+. This question will help me find out how people of different ages view the thriller genre, and what kind of things they are more used to or perhaps don't like as much. My prediction is the older the survey taker, the more they will like thriller genres such as psychological thrillers, drama thriller and crime thrillers, in contrast the thriller such as action thrillers. This is because these types of thrillers are in general more interesting and require more attention to detail, in comparison to mainstream action thriller films.

The third question very simply asks the survey taker if they watch short films or not, so I get a good guess of how many of the survey takers actually watch short films, or if they do not.

The next question follows up to question 3 and asks the taker what their favourite sub-genre of thriller is. The options are between Crime-thriller, Drama-thriller, Neo-noir thriller, Sci-fi thriller, Action-thriller and lastly Psychological thriller. This question will help me to identify the most popular sub-genre of thriller among my target audience, and will ultimately tell me the sub-genre of thriller I could pursue, and the one the audience would want to see the most. It will also tell me the least desired sub-genre of thriller and this would be the one I am least likely to produce, as a result.

The 5th question asks the taker to justify their selection of their favourite sub-genre of thriller. This is just so I can get a more detailed understanding as to why they like this particular sub-genre of thriller, whether it's due to specific conventions, features, actors, themes and so on. I can then utilise this in my short film, having to the knowledge of what specific audiences like about certain types of thriller films.

The 6th question is all about the gender of lead character. I felt this would be necessary as it will help me determine if I should get a male or a female to play my lead character, and one that would help to satisfy the audience. There is also an option for 'Not Sure', this would mean the audience don't mind a female or male lead and so I could cast either.

The next question asks the survey taker to justify themselves on why they prefer this gender as the lead character.

The 8th question directly asks the survey taker what they think makes a thriller film more effective. Whether they respond the lighting, direction, themes and ideas, tense sound design, exciting sequences, good acting, it will help me in understanding what audiences like to see in thriller films. Such as, if 605 of the takers think that the sound is what makes thriller films more effective, I will focus more of my attention to the sound aspect of my short film, when it comes to the production and post-production stage.

The last question simply asks the taker if they would be interested in my idea, which is at the moment about crime and abduction within taxi cabs. This is so that I gain a direct insight into whether or not people want to see my idea come to life as a short film.

No comments:

Post a Comment