Wednesday 30 September 2015

Evaluating my Survey Results




For my survey, the people who submitted and filled out the questions were half male and half female. This is beneficial as now I have balanced gender results, so I can now gain insight into both what the males and females thought about my initial ideas and questions. This will help me when it comes to planning and production as I have knowledge about what both genders expect from films and themes as such I'm trying to portray.


As you can see from the screenshot, most of the people who submitted answers were in the 14-18 age group, about 82% of them. This means that I will have to revolve planning to meet the needs and expectations of this particular age group, because I have the most information about them as opposed to the other age groups. It also means I will have to age rate my film as most likely a 15, so that any content I show will be suitable for this particular age group and won't affect the viewers opinion of the short film. It also means I can show more mature themes, such as violence, in my short film as it is being aimed at older teenagers.


About 70% of the people who filled in my questionnaire actually watch thriller films, this is beneficial for me as it makes my results more quantifiable and reliable as the people submitting data are more familiar with the genre of thriller and all of its codes and conventions. Also, now that I know 70% of them watch thriller films, I'm very much confident to carry this genre forward and pursue it for my short film, as I have the data to support that people do watch and enjoy this genre of film. 


From the data, I can conclude that most of the people who filled out my survey prefer action thrillers over the other sub-genres of thriller. Action thriller was the most popular at 41%, and the second most popular was psychological thriller at about 35%. However, this may be slightly problematic for me as the sub-genre of thriller I am planning to execute is in the boundaries between crime-thriller and neo-noir thriller. However to my disadvantage, nobody put down their preferred sub-genre of thriller as neo-noir. I will still pursue this specific sub-genre, however it will mean that the codes and conventions I portray may or may not meet the audiences expectations and understanding, which is a risk but it's worth taking in order to create my intended product. 





Here are some of the users feedback to my question, 'Why is this your favourite sub-genre of thriller?'. I found their feedback to be useful to an extent, such as the comment regarding 'not knowing exactly what is happening on screen, and how this is sometimes better than having a clear idea of what is happening'. This is quite an interesting response in my opinion, and overall it's saying story-line and standard narratives can be averted, as long as there's meaning and significance in what content is being shown on screen. Another more simple piece of feedback stated 'it's tense', this is one of the certain characteristics I aim for my short film product to be like, based on past work such as our AS coursework piece. 


This question was used in order to give me insight into what gender people prefer the main character is, or if they don't mind at all. However just under 90% of the answers stated they don't mind, or in other words it doesn't matter what gender the lead character is. I found this to be quite a relief because I could then cast any person who is either a male or female, and it wouldn't make a difference to the audience. Only 10% selected male, which I found to be quite surprising as lots and lots of films nowadays cast males as the leads compared to casting females as the leads. As a result of this question I have now casted my 2 male leads for my characters in the short film. 



These are some of the answers to the question regarding what makes a thriller film more effective. Most of these answers I find are quite useful and give me some additional information and understanding into what will make my short film better quality. For example, the comment 'Better, bolder direction, great acting, good sound design and intriguing cinematography'. This is one particular piece of feedback Im interested in and want to aim towards, because I also agree with it and think those certain technical aspects do make thriller films better. So when it comes to shooting footage for my short film, I will be setting my attention to these features and technical aspects. 



My last question simply asked if they would be interested in my short film idea. To my advantage, most of the people voted yes, just over 50%, and about 35% of them said they weren't sure. Only 10% said no which is good. I found this to be quite surprising and I am happy the audience would want to see my short film and are interested in its themes, ideas and portrayals. 





No comments:

Post a Comment